Crushed Puy Lentils with Turmeric and Tahini
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into 3/8 -inch/1-cm dice (scant 2 cups)
- 1 2/3 cups cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini paste (blend in parsley and garlic if you like)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/2 tsp paprika, to garnish (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until completely cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Put the butter and oil in a large sauté pan and place over medium-high heat.Once the butter melts, add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, and ginger, and cook for about 1 minute.. Add the tomatoes, four-fifths of the cilantro, and the cooked lentils. Continue to cook and stir for a couple of minutes before adding the tahini, lemon juice, 4 ½ tablespoons/70 ml water, 1 teaspoon salt, and a good grind of black pepper. Lower the heat to medium and continue to stir and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until hot and thickened. Using a potato masher, roughly mash the lentils a little so that some are broken up and you get a thick porridge consistency.
- Spread the lentils on a flat serving plate and sprinkle with the onion, the remaining cilantro, and a final drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm with the hard-boiled eggs alongside and sprinkle paprika.